Wisdom teeth are known for causing more harm than good. This explains the fact that these back four molars are often extracted during your late teens or early adulthood. Removing wisdom teeth can prevent a number of complications that can occur when these molars are impacted due to lack of jaw space. Wisdom teeth removal is a common and straightforward procedure at West Hill Family Dental in Rocky Hill, but it does involve a recovery period where patients must be aware of what constitutes normal healing and signs of potential complications.
Normal Recovery Symptoms
During your post-operative healing after wisdom teeth extraction, the following symptoms are typically normal and expected in the initial 2-3 days:
- Mild to Moderate Pain: Pain is typical after surgery, usually managed with prescribed or over-the-counter pain relievers.
- Swelling and Bruising: Some swelling and bruising around the jawline or cheeks is common.
- Limited Jaw Movement: Stiffness and difficulty opening your mouth fully can occur for a few days.
- Bleeding: Minor bleeding is expected in the first 24 hours; gauze pads can help manage it.
Symptoms of Concern
If you experience the following after your wisdom teeth surgery, we want to know as soon as possible at West Hill Family Dental:
- Persistent, Severe Pain: Pain that worsens or doesn’t improve with medication may indicate a problem.
- Prolonged Bleeding: Excessive or ongoing bleeding beyond the first day requires attention.
- Swelling That Worsens: Increasing swelling after the first few days could be a sign of infection.
- Fever or Chills: These could signal an infection and need prompt medical attention.
Ensuring a Smooth Recovery
Following post-operative instructions is crucial for a smooth recovery. This includes resting, avoiding strenuous activities, eating soft foods, and maintaining oral hygiene. Remember that using a straw or smoking should be avoided completely until the extraction sites heal.
When to Contact Your Dentist in Rocky Hill
If you experience any concerning symptoms or if you have questions about your recovery, it’s important to contact West Hill Family Dental for guidance.
Recovering from wisdom teeth removal is a process that varies for each individual. Being aware of what to expect and when to seek medical advice is key to a successful recovery. Contact West Hill Family Dental for expert care and advice on wisdom teeth removal and recovery.