Avulsion is a word that describes the complete displacement of a tooth from the socket due to trauma. An avulsed tooth is a true dental emergency. If you have a tooth knocked out you’ll need a dentist to repair it ASAP, but before you get to the office there are several things you can do.
- Try your best to keep calm
- If you can find the knocked out tooth, pick it up by the crown (the white part). Avoid touching the root.
- If the tooth is dirty, wash it for about 3-5 seconds under cold running water.
- Try to replant the tooth if possible. You can bite on a handkerchief to hold it in position.
- If you are unable to replant the tooth, place the tooth in a glass of milk. You can also keep it in your mouth between your molars and the inside of your cheek – just don’t swallow it.
- AVOID storage in water
- Call the office and see Dr. Hemphill ASAP.