Dentistry doesn’t always have to be serious or boring. When it comes to your teeth, there is a lot to smile about. Our patients love learning these interesting facts about their dental health – some may make you laugh, some may gross you out, and others may completely surprise you!
Did You Know This About Your Teeth?
- Americans buy more than 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.
- 25% of adults DO NOT brush twice a day.
- Roughly 75% of school children worldwide have active dental cavities!
- 48% of young adults have untagged themselves from a photo on Facebook because of their smile.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body.
- The average human being produces 100,000 gallons of saliva during their lifetime.
- The first toothbrush with bristles was made in 1498 with materials from hogs, horses and badgers.
- It takes 43 muscles to frown but only 17 to smile.
- The human tongue is as unique as a fingerprint.
- There are more bacteria in the human mouth than there are people on the Earth.
- Dinosaurs grew new teeth when one was lost or broken.
- A snail’s mouth is no larger than the head of a pin, yet it can contain over 25,000 teeth.
- According to a recent survey by Time magazine, 59% of people would rather have a dental appointment than sit next to someone who is talking on a cell phone.
- Americans spend $100 billion a year on hair care products, and only $2 billion a year on dental care products.
- The lifespan of a taste bud is about 10 days.
- 60% of people don’t know that a sore jaw, when combined with chest pain, can signal a heart attack.
- 90% of systemic diseases have oral manifestations.
Knowing Your Smile Means Appreciating Your Smile
While some of these dental facts are silly or fun, they should all increase your awareness of your teeth and gums. We hope that after learning the alarming statistics of tooth decay or recognizing the link between oral health and body health, that you will put forth some extra effort in caring for your smile. At West Hill Family Dental, we are here to help! Call today to book your routine dental visit with us at our Rocky Hill office. Dental care is never boring around here!